Monday, April 11, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: Will You Allow Me Space?


A Note To Oliver




Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


My great grandmother's one entry in her husband Oliver's diary, October 27, 1900. 

Oliver had gone out of town for a few days to preach at Liberty Baptist Church in the neighboring Kentucky county of Pulaski. Great grandmother Sarah had not been feeling well, very likely because she was two months pregnant with her first child, my grandfather. Sarah wrote this note to let Oliver know she was going to stay with her parents for a few days while Oliver was out of town. Her parents lived in Level Green, about 3 miles away. I thought this note was very sweet!


Excerpt from Book #1, pg. 72 Diary of Oliver Morton Wallen (1900)


Oct. 27Dear, Will you allow me space enough to write just a little? It is Saturday evening Oct. 27. You are at Liberty, perhaps, and I am at home in our room alone and very lonely too. The sun is about to set behind a cloud. Oh how I miss you. I know God will take care of you wherever you go, for I have asked him to, and I believe he will. I am going home tomorrow if it is God’s blessed will, perhaps to be gone a few days. I trust I will be better when I come back again, that my presence may be more cheerful and that I may be more company to you. I ask you to think of me and remember me in your prayers. Good Bye, Dear. Sarah.

SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment