Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Jacob Grabeel 1784 - 1861



Tombstone of Jacob Grabeel, Milam-Hobbs Cemetery
Hagan, Lee Co., Virginia


Inscription:


In memory of
Jacob Grabeel
Died
July 23, 1861
in the 77th Yr.
of his age.

Milam-Hobbs Cemetery on State Route 621, Hagan, Virginia
via Google Earth

Jacob Grabeel was my paternal fourth great grandfather. He was born in Pennsylvania to German parents, John and Catherine Grabeel. He and his first wife Mary were the parents of my third great grandmother, Susannah, wife of James Monroe Martin. Jacob died in Lee Co., Virginia and is buried in the Milan-Hobbs Cemetery in Hagan.

Tombstone photos used with permission from FindAGrave.com volunteer, Phil Cheek.

SHARE

4 comments:

  1. I am hobbling together a family tree on Facebook's free Ancestry app, and if one of Jacob's sons was named George, born in or about 1813, then he is probably my 3rd great grandfather. I would love to know if he did have a son named George. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--you can email directly on my personal email @ cindysstuff@cox.net. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia..yes, I believe this is your ancestor. Your George was married to Mary Wells according to my information. He was Jacob and Mary's first born and brother to my ancestor Susannah. I will send you an e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, Jacob is my 4th great grandfather. I have been working on this side of my family tree for nearly two years. Can you please email me at mistyalgier@yahoo.com I would love to share some information with you and see if maybe you can help me. My mother is Judy Grable, only child and daughter of Bernard Rupert Grable. I never knew my grandfather or his family and everyday I meet more and more of them.... I am however stuck with Jacob's father John, I can not find a direct link to his parents. There are several family trees on ancestry.com that have parents listed but I can not find sources to confirm those relationships. Im so glad I came across your page.....Misty Algier

    ReplyDelete