Monday, November 1, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of John Martin, Jr. 1840



JOHN MARTIN, JR. 1762 - 1840


About Amanuensis Monday: John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."


John Martin, Jr. was born in South Carolina in 1762. He entered into the service of the United States in the Revolution enlisting as a substitute for his father who was drafted at the age of 55 years. John, Jr. died in Lee Co., Virginia in 1840, Will probate 16th March 1840; he married Mary [Polly] Cooper who likely preceded him in death as she was not named in his Will. John Martin, Jr. was my paternal 4th great grandfather.

Will of John Martin, Jr.


    I John Martin Jr. of the County of Lee and State of Virginia being in a low state of health though in my proper senses do now make this my last will & testament in manner and form as followith.

    After all my just debts and funeral expenses are paid I give to my son James Monroe Martin, all my personal and real estate except so much as is herein provided for that is to say my land on which I now live, and also fifty acres adjoining the same on the west including the mill seat ... I once had a mill and an half of one hundred acres lying on trading creek that is the dry fork, running up on both sides ... creek including the mill seat and adjoining the lands of E....Hubbard and all my horses, cattle, hogs, sheep and every thing else that I may possess at my death.
    I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Jane Allen one dollar.  And whereas my sons Anson C., Wilkerson and John Martin have received each of them one fourth part of the tract of land on which I now live I therefore will them nothing.
    I do hereby constitute and appoint my son James Monroe Martin my executor of this my last will and testament hoping he will perform his duty faithfully and impartialy in every thing that relates to the aforesaid will. In testamony hereof I have hereunto set my hand & affixed my seal this twelfth day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty.
                                                                                                John Martin (Seal)
Signed, Sealed & delivered
in the presence of
John Fulkerson
Jessee Vandeventer                    
Philip Long                                  

   At a court of quarter sessions begun and held for Lee County at the courthouse thereof on Monday the 16th day of March 1840 the last will and testament of John Martin deceased was further proven by the oath of Philip Long a witness thereto and the same having been before proved by the oath of another witness is ordered to be recorded. J. W. S. Morison C. C.


                                                   Probate 16 March 1840
                                                   [will book 2-112 Lee Co. VA]

SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment