| Front cover, stained and worn |
![]() |
| Table of contents |
![]() |
| Illustration on how to load logs after they are cut |
![]() |
| Back page advertisement for Fischer's book on grain tables |
"Home is where one starts from. As we grow older the world becomes stranger, the pattern more complicated of dead and living. Not the intense moment, isolated, with no before and after, but a lifetime burning in every moment. And not the lifetime of one man only, but of old stones that cannot be deciphered." ----- T. S. Eliot, 1888-1965 "Four Quartets, East Coker" (1940)
© 2010 - 2016 Lisa Wallen Logsdon Blog: Old Stones Undeciphered
The contents and photos herein shall not be used on another site, or reproduced in any manner without the prior written consent of the author and blog owner. You may not use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.
| Front cover, stained and worn |
![]() |
| Table of contents |
![]() |
| Illustration on how to load logs after they are cut |
![]() |
| Back page advertisement for Fischer's book on grain tables |
Neat! I love old books and how wonderful that you have one that belonged to your ancestor!
ReplyDeleteGreat story, Lisa. I too love old books and pick them up occasionally. My husband is a contractor and I bought him one for his birthday titled " The Complete Home Handyman's Guide" published in 1948. I'm an executive assistant and I bought another one published in 1938 titled "The Home Book of Secretarial Training." It is just so much fun to look at these old books. I'm sure your great-grandfather's book is very special to you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great treasure. Count me in on the list of lovers of old books! Love the graphics you chose to share.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite is the quote above the Chopper's Rest illustration: "Brains and perseverance always tell."
ReplyDeleteHaving a book like this takes you right back to the time it was written--into the minds and culture of the era. I have some of my grandfather's song books he recorded his favorite songs, jokes, stories in - but in old German, so I can only read some with help. I love this from above: "brains and perseverence always tell." still true today!
ReplyDelete