Monday, November 29, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: Obituary of Morris H. Newby

May 2, 1899 - December 6, 1947

My maternal granduncle Morris H. Newby  Circa 1930
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

I have two hand dated obituaries for Uncle Bud (as my mother called him). One apparently from Knightstown, Henry Co., Indiana and the other from Lowell, Lake Co., Indiana where he was last employed. My grandmother clipped these and I found them in my mother's photo albums. 

Friday, December 12, 1947
Morris Newby, 48, Dies in Gary

Morris Newby, 48, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Newby, former residents of Knightstown, died Saturday at the Mercy hospital at Gary. He had been ill since August. Mr. Newby was superintendent of schools of Lowell, Ind.  Funeral services were held in Lowell on Monday and the body was brought to Knightstown where graveside services were held with the Rev. E. A. Addison officiating.  The Butcher Funeral Home was in charge of the burial.  Mr. Newby was a member of Golden Rule Lodge No. 16, F. & A. M.  A sister, Mrs. Fern Runyan, of Indianapolis is the only immediate survivor. Two cousins, Floyd and Harry Newby, live in Knightstown. We wish to express our deepest and sincerest gratitude and thanks to the people of Lowell who were so kind to us at the time of the death of our dear brother, Morris H. Newby. The many beautiful flowers, and your kind expressions of sympathy will long be remembered and treasured by us. Signed: Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Runyan.

Morris H. Newby Succumbs After Several Months Serious Illness

Morris H. Newby Circa 1940
Morris H. Newby, 48, principal of Lowell grade school, passed away at Mercy hospital, Gary, last Saturday morning following several months illness. His health began to fail soon after starting the summer vacation. He improved some and was able to start his work at the grade school in September, but soon became seriously ill and was compelled to give up his duties.  He became a member of the grade school faculty in the fall of 1925 when M. E. Goodwin, now of Brook, was principal. When Mr. Goodwin transferred to the high school, he became principal and has held the position since. Educated at Ball State Teachers' College and at Indianapolis college, he had spent nearly his entire career in Lowell grade school. He taught one year in Wyoming and two years at Plum Grove school, east of town, before coming to Lowell. He was a man who had the respect of all residents of this community and his acquaintance was very large over southern Lake county. The Lowell grade school was his great interest in life, and he has informed us many times that he expected to end his teaching career here and on retirement to always make Lowell his home. He is a man who will be greatly missed, and the great good he has done in the educational system of the schools here will long be remembered.  He is survived by one sister, Mrs. Lawrence Runyan, of Indianapolis, one niece, one grand-niece and two nephews.  He was a member of the Masonic lodge in his home town of Knightstown, Ind., and of the Lowell Lions club.  Lowell grade school was closed Monday and Tuesday and the high school Monday afternoon in honor of the deceased.  Memorial services were held at Lowell high school at 2 p. m. Monday. The services were in charge of Rev. Luther Villars of the Church of Christ; Rev. Paul Reisen, of the Methodist church; Rev. Kenneth Owens, of the Church of the Nazarene; Rev. Edward Boney, of St. Edward's Catholic church, and Rev. E. L. Worley, of the ShelbyChurch of Christ. Mrs. Edward Minninger played several numbers during the services. Members of the grade school faculty attended in a body.  Tuesday morning the remains were taken by Weaver & Son to Knightstown, his boyhood home, where services were held and interment was made beside his father and mother.

My grandmother was very fond of her brother. Bud never married, never had children. He is interred in the Glen Cove Cemetery in Knightstown, Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment