Monday, July 18, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of Daniel Bloomer




Will of Daniel Bloomer (my paternal 5th great grandfather)
May 23, 1838


         In the Name of God, Amen. I, Daniel Bloomer of the State of Tennessee, Hawkins, County, being very low in body, but in perfect mind and memory, thanks be given unto God, calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this my last will and testament, that is to say: principally and first of all, I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God that gave it, and my body I recommend to the earth to be buried in a decent Christian burial at the discretion of my Executor, and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life, I give, devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form:
         First of all, I give and bequeath to Lucy my dearly beloved wife, half of this plantation or the benefit thereof, my dwelling house and kitchen and all the furniture belonging to them and all the property that I now claim during her life, and for her to pay all my just debts and further for her to pay my daughter Lucy one hundred and sixty dollars at her marrying or coming of age.
         Also for the land I have in Scott County, Virginia, I will and bequeath to four of my sons which is William Bloomer who is to have from the lower end of the survey up to a beech and hickory. Thence a southeast course with a conditional line between him and Nehemiah Bloomer, and Nehemiah Bloomer is to have from that conditional line up to two beeches near Joseph Bloomer's field, thence a southeast course across the creek between Joseph and Nehemiah Bloomer's field. Joseph Bloomer is to have from the last conditional line up to a cucumber and back near the upper end of Joseph Bloomer's field. Thence southeast course to the creek. Thence running with the creek to a double lyne. James Bloomer is to have from this conditional line to the upper end of the survey; these lines are also to extend across Isham Young's entry that I have made.
         The house where Jesse Bloomer now lives, I bequeath to him; also the other half of this home plantation and at the death of my wife, the whole of this plantation is to be his.
         I bequeath at the death of my wife all the personal property, household and kitchen furniture, money and negroes to my six girls: Mary, Elizabeth, Milly, Phebe, Marthy, Lucy, and I further request my wife to have full power to sell or convey these negroes at any time for her decent support. I further bequeath Lucy have one falling leaf table and corner cupboard extra of her one hundred and sixty.
         And I do hereby utterly disallow, revoke and disannul all and every other former testament, wills, legacies, bequeaths and executions by me in anywise before named, willed and bequeathed--ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last Will and Testament.
         In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal, and I appoint for my Executors, William Walling, Jr. and James Bloomer.


attest:                                                                                     his
         his                                                                        Daniel X Bloomer (Seal)
Ezkiel X Sullivan                                                                     mark
        mark
Claiborne Roberson




Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment