Monday, July 5, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of Achsah Jackson Davis 1877 Pulaski Co., Kentucky



About Amanuensis Monday: John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."



~Achsah Jackson Davis 1796 - 1877~

James and Achsah Jackson Davis were the paternal great grandparents of Sarah Frances Davis Wallen, my paternal great grandmother.


Will of Achsah Davis (typewritten will - copied here verbatim):


August the 16th 1877


I, Achsah Davis will and bequath all my House hold and kitchen property to James R. C. Lathim and Sarah M. Hamblin my beloved grand sone and daughter first to James R. C. Lathim my clock and table and bedstid wool wheel and hatchel Then to Sarah M. Hamblen my press and bedstead and bead and bed clothes and brass Kettle and worping spools little wheel & check reel and I wish the two children James R. C. Lathim and Sarah M. Hamblen to divide my pot vesels and cupboard ware between themselves allso the claim I have on the Government I wish James R. C. Lathim and Sarah M. Hamblen to divide equal between themselves and the chairs is to be equal divided the waggon I will to James R. C. Lathim and the farming tools This is my last will and testimony to which I set my Seal and commit my soul to heaven.   
                                                            
Attest                                                                Achsah    X    Davis
Josiah Brady                                                                her mark
H. P. Broyles
G. W. Burnett


State of Kentucky
Pulaski County


I, E. W. Porch, Clerk of the Pulaski County Court, do certify that the foregoing writing purporting to be the last Will and Testament of Achsah Davis deceased, was produced in open court at the regular November Term 1877 of the Pulaski CountyCourt, and proven according to law by the oaths of Josiah Brady & G. W. Burnett, two of the subscribing witnesses to said writing, and was adjudged by the court to be the true last Will and Testament of Achsah Davis deceased, and ordered to be recorded as such, and that I have recorded it and this certificate in my said office.
Given under my hand, this 22nd day of November 1877.
E. W. Porch, Clerk


SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment