Monday, July 12, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of Nathan Brashears - 1817 - Fairfield Co., Ohio



Nathan Brashears 1769 - 1818




About Amanuensis Monday: John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."


1817 Will of Nathan Brashears


December 3rd 1817 In the name of God, Amen. I, Nathan Brashears of Fairfield County, Madison Township, State of Ohio, being weak in body but of sound and perfect mind and memory, blessed be Almighty God for the same, do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to say, first I give and bequeath unto my loving wife all the lands and tenements which I now possess and am now living on during her widowhood, eleven or twelve acres excepted on the east side of said land with the improvements thereon which I grant the use of to Henrietta Mahoney during her natural life provided she lives on the premises herself and lives unmarried. I further give and bequeath unto my loving wife Elizabeth all my goods and chattels of what ever kind or nature after all my just debts are paid and all funeral expenses paid. I hereby appoint my loving wife Elizabeth sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby evoking all other former wills by me. Made in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this the third day of December in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventeen.
Nathan Brashears

Signed, sealed, published and declared the above named Nathan Brashears to be his last will and testament in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our names as witness in the presence of the Testator.
John Lyons
Samuel Friend

HB Furthermore I grant to my loving wife Elizabeth all the privilege of the water belong to the said eleven or twelve acres of land on the east side of said land where I now live given under my hand and seal December 3rd 1817.
Nathan (his mark) Brashears
John Lyons
Samuel Friend

Fairfield County Ohio at a court of common pleas held at Lancaster in and for the county aforesaid on the 23rd day of March 1818 the foregoing past will and testament is proven by John Lyons and Samuel Friend the subscribing witness thereto on which it is ordered to be recorded.
Attest Hugh Boyle Clk


Nathan Brashears was born in 1769 in Frederick Co., Maryland. He married Elizabeth Scheidenhelm. They were my fourth great grandparents. Their daughter Nancy Ann married James Owen. Nancy and James' son David Brashears Owen, married Sarah Samantha Miller. David and Sarah's daughter Mary Ellen Lucretia Owen married Andrew Melvin Townsend who's daughter Iva Illinois "Noy" Townsend married William Jesse Wallen. Noy and William J. were my paternal grandparents.
SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment