Monday, July 26, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of Sarah Schmetzer Owen - 1791 - Northampton Co., Pennsylvania



Sarah Schmetzer Owen 1724/25 - 1791




About Amanuensis Monday: John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."


Will of Sarah Owen


In the name of God, Amen. I Sarah Owen of Upper Saucon Township in the County of Northampton and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Widow & Relict of David Owen late of the same Place Yeoman Deceased being advanced in Years and Very Infirm in health, but of Sound & disposing mind, Memory & Understanding, praised be God, for the same, and knowing the Mortality of my Body and that it is Appointed for all Man kind once to die, I do make and ordain this to be my last Will and Testament in Manner following (Viz) I Give and Recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God, my Merciful Creator and Redeemer and my Body to be Buried in a Christian like and decent Manner And Touching such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to be bless me in this life, I Give and dispose of the Same in Manner following: I do order & direct that after my Decease all my goods and Effects & Whatsoever was left to my disposal by my late Husband, of what name and denomination they may be, be converted into money by way of Public Vendue which said money so praised by the said Vendue Together with all other Money or Monies which shall then be due and owing to me by Virtue of my said Late Husbands last Will and Testament or otherwise The Same I Give Devise and Bequeath unto my three Grand Children (the Children of my son Thomas Owen Deceased) named Owen Owen, Hanna Owen, & Sarah Owen to be Equally divided Amongst them Part and Share alike, to be put out on Interest and Paid thereon when they Respectively arrive at the age Called twenty One Years, or on the days of their Marriages which of them shall happen first. And if any of my said Described Grand Children should die before they arrive at the said age, or before Married. Then I do so order that the whole shall be the Property of those who shall survive, likewise Equally to be Equally divided amongst them and I do Ordain, Constitute and Appoint my Son Nathan and my Son in law Jonathan Scot to be the sole Executors of this my last will and Testament in trust for the Purpose above mentioned In Witness Whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and Seal the thirteenth day of August, In the Year of Our Lord, One thousand Seven hundred & ninety One.

Signed, Sealed, Established, Pronounced and declared by the said said (sic) Sarah Owen, as signed for her Last Will and Testament in presence of us
Henrich Schaeffer
John Stout


Sarah Schmetzer was born in Pennsylvania and married David Owen about 1740. They were my paternal fifth great grandparents. Their son Nathan married Leah Margaret Hartzell. Nathan and Leah's son James married Nancy Ann Brashears. James and Nancy Ann's son David Brashears Owen married Sarah Samantha Miller. David and Sarah's daughter Mary Ellen Lucretia Owen married Andrew Melvin Townsend and their daughter Iva Illinois "Noy" Townsend married William Jesse Wallen. Noy and William J. were my paternal grandparents.

SHARE

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lisa,

    What do you know about Jonathan, the son of David and Sarah? I have been searching the David Owens to find a Jonathan connection. My Grandfather is Leonard "Pug" Owens. His tree is on my blogspot genealogy site below. He has a 3rd Great Grandfather by the name of Jonathan. Your tree is the only one I have found to mention the William - David - Jonathan line. Do you know of any of these Owens men and their wives among your tree? kathywigley@windstream.net is my personal email. Would love to hear from you.

    http://kathy-wigleyfamilygenealogy.blogspot.com/2011/12/6-owens-via-my-mother-donna-owens.html

    ReplyDelete