Monday, September 12, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of Millie McMullen



Milla Jane (Trowbridge) McMullen 
b. 26 Oct 1869 - d. 26 Mar 1905

Milla Jane (Trowbridge) McMullen
Millie was born in Rush Co. Indiana in 1869 and died 35 years later in Knightstown, Henry Co., Indiana. She was the daughter of John Calvin and Phoebe (Cook) Trowbridge, sister of my great grandmother Ida May Newby, and wife of Henry McMullen. Millie had no descendants.

The copy of Millie's will that I have in my possession, is the original copy given to my great grandparents, Charles Lee and Ida May (Trowbridge) Newby in 1905 by the family attorney, Floyd J. Newby, first cousin of Charles.


Last Will and Testament of Millie McMullen

I, Millie J. McMullen, of Knightstown, Henry County, Indiana, being of sound mind and disposing memory, do make and publish this my last will and testament.

Item 1. I hereby will, devise and bequeath to my sister Ida M. Newby, wife of Charles L. Newby my farm in Henry County, Indiana, containing 33 1/2 acres more or less described as follows: - The west division of the West half of the northwest quarter of section 25, township 16 north of Range 8 east bounded as follows: - Commencing at the Northwest corner of said quarter section and running thence south on the west line thereof 162 rods and 12 1/2 links to the Southwest corner of said quarer section; Thence east 33 rods and 1 5/6 links; Thence north 162 rods and 12 1/2 links to the north line of said quarter section at a point 33 rods and 1 5/6 links east of the place of beginning; Thence west to the place of beginning.

Also all that part of Lot number 66, in section number 2 in Glencove Cemetary at the Town of Knightstown, Henry County, Indiana, that remains unused after my death.

The said Ida M. Newby shall pay to my nephew, Arthur M. Trowbridge the sum of $500.00 in cash either from the proceeds of the sale of the property devised to her in Item 1 herein or any other manner she may elect.

The said Ida M. Newby shall pay all my just debts, my funeral expenses and the costs of the probate of this will.

The said Ida M. Newby shall receive all money and other personal property which I may possess except that which is otherwise willed and bequeathed by me herein.

Item 2. I will and bequeath my household goods to Ida M. Newby and Arthur M. Trowbridge to be held by them equally.

Item 3. I hereby will and bequeath to my nephew Arthur M. Trowbridge mentioned in Item 1 herein the sum of $500.00 in cash to be paid to him as mentioned in Item 1.

Item 4. I will and bequeath to my niece Mary Fern Newby, daughter of Charles L. Newby and Ida M. Newby my gold watch and chain.

Item 5. I hereby constitute and appoint Ida M. Newby as Executrix of this my last will and testament.

In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this the 22nd. day of March, 1905.

                                                                                      Millie J. McMullen

Signed and acknowledged by the said Millie J. McMullen as her last will and testament in our presence and signed by us as witnesses in her presence this 22nd. day of March, 1905.

     A. L. Stage
     Floyd J. Newby 



More information and photos on Millie and her husband Henry can be found at this link: Henry and Milla Jane (Trowbridge) McMullen


Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment