Monday, September 26, 2011

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of Silas J. Metcalf



Silas J. Metcalf
Copied from photo
owned by Lou Lucas, in 1998
Silas Jefferson Metcalf was the maternal great, great grandfather of my husband Mike. He was born in Nelson Co., Kentucky on August 11, 1818 and died April 6, 1906 in Larue Co., Kentucky. He was the husband of Mary Emily Cundiff and the father of Edna (Metcalf) Melvin-Price. Silas served on the Union side in the Civil War, 37th Kentucky Infantry. He was married three times: 1) Ellen Jenkins, 2) Margaret Jane Gollaher (daughter of Benjamin Austin Gollaher and sister of Elizabeth Gollaher Melvin) and 3) Mary Emily Cundiff. Silas had approximately 20 children by the three wives.



Last Will and Testament of Silas Jefferson Metcalf

       I S. J. Metcalf, of the County of LaRue, State of Kentucky, do hereby make this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all wills heretofore made by me.
     I hereby will and direct that my funeral expenses and other just debts be paid as soon after my decease as possible.
     Whatever else may remain after complying with above request, I hereby will and bequeath to my son-in-law Thomas B. Howell.
     And lastly I hereby nominate constitute and appoint my said son-in-law Thomas B. Howell as executor of this my last will and testament and request that he be permitted to qualify without security and not requested to return an inventory and appraisment nor make any settlement of my estate.
     This 28th day of October, 1905.
                                                                    S. J.
                                                               his  X  mark
                                                                 Metcalf 
Witnesses:
J. Ekra Rapier
James E. Rapier

     At a county court begun and held at Hodgenville, Kentucky, on the 23rd day of April, 1906, an instrument of writing purporting to be the last will and testament of S. J. Metcalf Decd. was produced in open court and offered for probate which was fully proven by the oath of James E. Rapier one of the subscribing witnesses thereto, who testified that he attested said will at the request of testator in his presence and in the presence of J. Ekra Rapier the other subscribing witness thereto, and that J. Ekra Rapier attested said will in his presence and in the presence of testator at his request and that testator signed said will in their presence, and that testator was of sound mind and capable of making a will. It is therefore ordered that such be established as the last will and testament of S. J. Metcalf Decd. and the same is ordered to record as I have truly recorded the same together with this certificate in my office.
     Given under my hand this 27th day of April, 1906.
                             W. A. Robinson, clk.
                             By Chas. Walters, D. C.

SHARE

1 comment:

  1. I was deligthed to see this information about Silas Metcalf...My Great Grandparents are Thomas B. & Sally Howell of Athertonville Kentucky. My grandfather Lomar (Joe) Edwin Howell who married Marie C. Riggs of Manton Kentucky just outside of Bardstown Kentucky. My Dad their son is Francis (Frank) J. Howell married Lois Taylor of Athertonville and had Brian my brother and myself Emeric Howell. Family History is very interesting I've just begun looking into ours recently. Just this past August I sold the house in Athertonville that My grandfather bought from his parents Tom & Sally Howell in 1943. Made me sad to see it go...I was the last of my family to own property in Athertonville and still hold on to many memories from being there as a child!

    Emeric Howell toolingventures@windstream.net 502-957-3000

    ReplyDelete