Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday: Euna Ellen (Wallen) Norton



ELLA WALLEN
Wife of John Norton
born Sept. 25, 1883* - died July 28, 1907

Skaggs Creek Baptist Cemetery, Rockcastle Co., Kentucky
*Tombstone birth year is an error.

Euna Ellen "Ella" Wallen was born September 25, 1881. Her sister Lucy was born August 15, 1883. From the diary of Ella's brother, my great grandfather Oliver:

February 17, 1905 - "...Jess, Ella and I are all that is left of Mamma's children. Ella lives in Rockcastle Co., Ky. Jess is here with me. O. M. Wallen Born July 12, 1870. Jessee Uriah Wallen Born Oct. 17, 1878. Euna Ellen Wallen Born Sep. 25, 1881..."


The name "Euna" was a name used often in my family. The first I know of was Euna (Delaney) Sutton, Ella's maternal grandmother. Ella's maternal aunt was Euna Ann (Sutton) Lawrence, her grandmother's sister Isabel (Delaney) Reynolds named a daughter Euna Ellen and another sister, Mary Ann (Delaney) Lindsay, named a daughter Mary Euna and I think there are others. It is also one of the most misspelled names: Una, Unah, Uny, Unice, Eunice, etc. The quote from Oliver's diary shown above is the first I found it correctly spelled and, much later, after following Euna Ann Lawrence out west, I found it spelled correctly in her death records.

Ella died just 6 months after her brother Oliver and Jess died 10 years later. Their father outlived them all by 5 more years. Their mother and all 9 of her children died of TB in one form or another.

SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment