Monday, September 27, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of James D. S. Martin



JAMES DANIEL SHERMAN MARTIN
June 27, 1864 - February 12, 1946





About Amanuensis Monday: John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."



James Daniel Sherman Martin was the son of James Monroe and Susannah Grabeel Martin and the brother of my paternal great, great grandmother Ursula Ann Martin Davis. He was married to Sarah Elizabeth Testerman, daughter of John T. and Celia Bloomer Testerman. James and Sarah had five children: Susan E., Addie Lewis, Isaac Bradley, James Thomas, and Charles Ross.






Will of J. S. Martin


KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS:

That I, J. S. Martin of Eubanks, Route #3 Pulaski County Kentucky being sound in mind and memory and of lawful age do hereby make, publish and declare this to be my last will and testament hereby revoking all wills by me heretofore made.

ITEM I.
I decree that all of my just debts and funeral expenses be paid as soon as possible after my death.

ITEM II.
I have already turned over to my grandson Kennith Martin all of my farm tools including wagon, wheat, corn drill, disc, tooth harrows, mowing machine, rake, plows and same are his absolutely and in fee simple and not an advancement of any kind but already given to him as a gift and if for any reason same should be questioned I now bequeath them to him.

ITEM III.
If at my death my wife Lizzie Martin shall still be living I bequeath unto her for her life time or so long as she may remain my widow all the balance of my personal property and my undivided one half interest in the farm on which we now reside containing about 120 acres more or less, she owning the other half. She shall have full and complete control of the same during the remainder of her life or so long as she remains my widow and at the time of her death any personal property yet remaining and my one half interest in the farm I will give, will and bequeath to my grand son Kennith Martin absolutely and in fee simple.

ITEM IV.
I hereby make, nominate and appoint my grand son Kennith Martin to be the Executor of this my last will and testament and request that he be permitted to serve without bond and that no inventory be made of my estate in so far as same may be legally ommited. Given under my hand at Somerset Ky this November 1, 1945.

J. S. Martin

We the undersigned do hereby certify that the foregoing will was signed by J. S. Martin and acknowledged by him before us and we have signed same as witnesses in his presence and in the presence ofeach other and at his insistance and request.

Given under our hands this November 1st 1945.

Gladstone Wesley residing at Somerset Ky
John A. Dyer residing at Eubanks R #3 Ky



SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment