Monday, May 24, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: The Will of Joseph Logsdon


John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."

For today's Amanuensis Monday I will transcribe the Will of Joseph (Blackhead) Logsdon. Joseph and Eleanor "Nellie" Hayden Logsdon were both born in Maryland and lived in Madison Co., Kentucky from the late 1700s until their deaths in the mid 1800s. They were the parents of William B. Logsdon (see my blog:  Who The Heck Is Alice?).

In the early tax records of Madison County there were two Joseph Logsdons.  In order to distinguish the two, they were listed in the tax records as Joseph Blackhead and Joseph Redhead. 

The following is the Will of Joseph Logsdon - naming his children and wife with the exception of Richard Logsdon who was likely deceased prior to the writing of his father's Will in 1839.


JOSEPH (BLACKHEAD) LOGSDON WILL   - (1839/1841)

 [Book G, p508, 1841 Madison Co, KY]

In the name of God, Amen.  I JOSEPH LOGSDON of the County of Madison and State of Kentucky being old and considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being of sound mind and memory do make and publish this my last Will and Testament in the manner and form following (To Wit):

I desire my son JAMES LOGSDON at my death to pay out of my estate unto my grand children four in number, which I here mention (to wit): NELLY, SALLY, ANN, DIANA, and NANCY BOGIE, five hundred and fifty dollars which is to be equally divided amongst the children and each receive its part at age of twenty one years.   It's my desire if any one, two or three of these my grand children should die before they come of age their part should be given to the one, two, or three living.   And should the four die before they come of age I desire the five hundred and fifty dollars revert back and be equally divided amongst my four children to wit: WILLIAM, LAWRENCE, JAMES and BASSEL LOGSDON.  For I have given my son in law ANDREW H. BOGIE two hundred and fifty dollars which is all I ever intend him of my estate.

I bequeath unto my son WILLIAM LOGSDON the plantation he now lives on and one hundred and thirty dollars out of my estate and I also bequeath unto my son LAWRENCE the farm he now lives on but he is to pay back to the estate one hundred dollars.
    
I also bequeath unto my son BASSEL LOGSDON the plantation on which he now lives but he also must pay one hundred dollars to the estate. It's my desire that my wife NELLY remain on the plantation I now live on unmolested with all the farming utensils, house hold and kitchen furniture and all the rest of the personal property until her death.  After her death I bequeath unto my son JAMES LOGSDON the plantation I now live on and all the household and kitchen furniture also all the farming utensils and all the personal property.

It's my wish that my sons JAMES LOGSDON and WILLIAM LOGSDON act as Executors of this my last Will and Testament.  I am now done with the things of this world.  I have divided my property in a manner as I think most just. I wish my children to act in a way that will be a pleasure to their Mother and not brinq her grey head with sorrow to the grave for she has spent her strength for their support.   But try to act as in this world that you may make a part of the family of God in the next.  I hope you will live so as we will meet in heaven.  For through grave I hope to reach that place of happiness, Amen.

I hearwith fix my hand and seal this 22nd day of August 1839. 
Jas R. Green                           mark
Squire Roberts                   JOSEPH  LOGSDON  seal
Daniel March   
Wm McClanihan  
T. M. Jones         
E. S. Shackelford 

Nov 19, 1839
************************************************* 
Kentucky Madison County: I David Irvine, Clerk of the Court for the County aforesaid, do hereby certify that at a County Court held for said County on the 6th day of December 1841 this instrument of writing was produced in open Court and proven to be the last Will and Testament of JOSEPH LOGSDON, Dec'd.  By the oaths of William McClanahan and E. S. Shackelford, subscribing witnesses thereto, and ordered to be recorded, which has been done accordingly.


Attest, David Irvine, CMCC
SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment