Monday, June 14, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: WWII 1942 - Letter to Florence from Cletus



About Amanuensis Monday: John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."



11/27/42
To:
Miss Florence Moore
2724 Bank St.
Louisville, Ky.

"Dear Florence,

     How is everybody. I'm feeling fine myself. Did you have good Thanksgiving day. I had Turkey for dinner that day. It sure tasted good I went back for seconds. They feed us good over here anyway.
     I haven't got much to do when I'm off. I go to the show almost every night. They put up couple pool tables last week.
     I went to town last Sunday. It was just small place. I didn't stay very long. There wasn't much to do there. There really some nice looking places there. About all they raise over here is sugercane & pineapples.
     I haven't got no letter since I been over here. I got couple from Ernest that all.
     Did you get the picture yet from Mother. Well that about I can say right now I an't allow to tell what I'm doing. I wish you all Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. It won't seem no Christmas to me. I like to see the snow on the ground. It's pretty hot over here.

Love, Cletus--"
(Florence Edna - daughter of Florence Polly Melvin, mother of Rose, Buddy and Mike Logsdon, and Jimmy and Bobby Jackson. Cletus Hanks(sp?) was a friend or a beau and was stationed at the air base in San Francisco, CA)
SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment