Monday, June 14, 2010

Amanuensis Monday: WWII 1942 - Letter to Florence from Cletus

About Amanuensis Monday: John Newmark, who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog started a Monday Blog Theme called "Amanuensis Monday". John defines "amanuensis" as "a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."

Miss Florence Moore
2724 Bank St.
Louisville, Ky.

"Dear Florence,

     How is everybody. I'm feeling fine myself. Did you have good Thanksgiving day. I had Turkey for dinner that day. It sure tasted good I went back for seconds. They feed us good over here anyway.
     I haven't got much to do when I'm off. I go to the show almost every night. They put up couple pool tables last week.
     I went to town last Sunday. It was just small place. I didn't stay very long. There wasn't much to do there. There really some nice looking places there. About all they raise over here is sugercane & pineapples.
     I haven't got no letter since I been over here. I got couple from Ernest that all.
     Did you get the picture yet from Mother. Well that about I can say right now I an't allow to tell what I'm doing. I wish you all Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. It won't seem no Christmas to me. I like to see the snow on the ground. It's pretty hot over here.

Love, Cletus--"
(Florence Edna - daughter of Florence Polly Melvin, mother of Rose, Buddy and Mike Logsdon, and Jimmy and Bobby Jackson. Cletus Hanks(sp?) was a friend or a beau and was stationed at the air base in San Francisco, CA)

No comments:

Post a Comment